Iowa high school deemed safe following morning bomb threat

ALGONA, Iowa — The Algona Community School District says the school has been searched and deemed safe following a morning bomb threat at the high school.

In a message shared by the City of Algona, the Algona Police Department says they received a phone call around 7 a.m. on Friday regarding an automated message the Algona Community School District had received, which claimed a bomb had been planted in the high school.

Authorities say classes were cancelled and then officers from the APD and Kossuth County Sheriff’s Office worked with school personnel to search the entire school. An explosive detecting K9 was also brought in for the search. Following an extensive search the school has been determined safe by several authorities.

Officials say they are aware of several other schools that begin with the letter “A,” that have been targeted with the same automated message. The Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation and Federal Bureau of Investigation have consulted on the case, which is part of an open investigation.

The Algona Community School District shared in a post following the search saying, “We recognize that situations like this can cause concern or anxiety. If you or your student needs support, please don’t hesitate to reach out to building administrators, building counselors, or Seasons staff located in our buildings.”

“Safety remains our top priority, and we will continue to work closely with law enforcement to maintain a secure and supportive environment for all students and staff.”

Algona Schools says classes will remain cancelled for the day, but that evening and weekend activities will resume as usual. The district says Friday night’s varsity football game will proceed as scheduled. Algona Schools says classes will resume as usual on Monday morning.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts